Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What Would This Ghost Say?

As Halloween nears, we think of ghosts. This very special poem celebrates two very special people who live on in our memories, a mother and her son.

If Nancy Hanks came back as a ghost,
Seeking news of what she loved most,
She'd ask first, "Where's my son?
What's happened to Abe? What's he done?"

"You wouldn't know about my son?
Did he grow tall? Did he have fun?
Did he learn to read? Did he get to town?
Do you know his name? Did he get on?"

The above stanzas from the poem, Nancy Hanks, evoked A Reply to Nancy Hanks by
Julius Silberger:
Yes, Nancy Hanks, the news we will tell
Of your Abe whom you loved so well.
You asked first, "Where's my son?"
He lives in the hearts of everyone.

Indiana has a special part in celebrating the upcoming bicentennial of Lincoln's birthday. I am privileged to have Lincoln's Boyhood Home license plates, which I special-ordered at no extra cost. Eventually they will become a part of my Indiana
collection.

1 comment:

Susan Warren said...

I can't believe those license plates didn't cost any extra....neat.