Saturday, November 8, 2008

UNCHANGING

Following the recent election, Barack Obama was elected to become the next U. S. President. Whatever your opinion of this candidate, we know that his campaign was based on the need for change. Some changes are necessary, inevitable, and/or desirable. Some are not! A change in the executive branch of government was necessary and inevitable. Hopefully Obama will make the desirable, needed changes in an open and amenable way.

Meanwhile, change happens all around us. I have certainly changed over my 62 years. The seasons change over the course of the year. Industry, transportation, music, fashion, technology, and many other things continue to change. Progress is often synonymous with change. Change is often part of growth.

BUT SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE! The God in whom I have placed my faith has never changed, although my understanding of Him has no doubt changed. His love is a constant. God's desire for fellowship with mankind has not changed. His church, although not always engaged in appropriate activities, still stands. The Word of God abides forever. And the place prepared for us is eternal, which means forever, unchanging.

As the hymn, Great is thy Faithfulness, says so well:

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not;
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.
(Chorus)
Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided--
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Thomas O. Chisholm, p.17, Sing Joyfully

1 comment:

Susan Warren said...

Amen! Thankfully God doesn't change and His love is constant.