Friday, July 10, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOHN !

Happy birthday to our first son, John Eric Holzworth. You were the first, the one we practiced on. You amazed Darrell Crawford, babysitter Pauline's husband, with your early counting skills, and astounded Flavia Barnett, our minister's wife, with your reading ability. But as a teacher, I knew you were ready, so I encouraged you! (Well, I actually think you might say I pushed you!)
In spite of my efforts, you did your own thing as well!

I remember how proud we were of you, our first-born. I remember the photo of you standing behind the steering wheel of Red Reynolds' van. I remember when you took swimming lessons at Kurtz' pool. I remember when you bought a valentine for a special girl. I remember how you cried when our dog, Lucky, got hit and died. I remember your car wrecks, especially the one where you called me from Dudleytown. I remember your short but unwilling stint at IUS. I remember when you were in an apartment in Seymour and got sick. I remember when you moved to Massachusetts, the Christmas I flew out to visit you, and your visits back here. Those are just some of the memories I have.

I still think you would be a great talk show host! You can carry on a conversation with anybody and they feel very comfortable and honored. You have an easy, low-key manner with people. But I also know you have a depth of feeling that I haven't always recognized. And you are funny, with a subtle sense of humor. You get along great with children! You are loyal to your friends. You are thoughtful with cards and gifts. You have to like your job to stay with it. Those are some of the things I admire and appreciate about you. And of course you love your music.

Happy Birthday, John!
Love, Mom

(For photos see: thewarrens-cliffandsusan.blogspot.com )